Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Four Day Weekend...

Today was the start of a 4 day weekend.  Instead of catching a flight to some little bed and breakfast on the coast for some rest and relaxation, I woke up at 5:30am because I couldn't sleep!  My head was pounding and I didn't have anything to take for it.  I got up and started cleaning house.  Don't ask me why, but I figured I might as well get a jump on it.  1 load of clothes in the wash; 1 load of dishes in the dishwasher; dumped the garbages; Pledged my dining room table; Windex'd my bathroom mirror.  At that point I needed coffee.  My mother was coming by at 8:00am so I can follow her downtown to drop off her car for repairs, then take her back home.  Before she shows up I feel the need for a hot bubble bath.  She arrives right on time, and I'm running 10 min late.  I walk out with my mug of coffee and head for the gas station to fill my tank up, while mom heads to the Car Shop.  I fight bumper to bumper traffic all the way, but thankfully I have some great tunes to listen to while I'm driving and drinking (coffee).  By the time I arrive at the car shop, mom is ready to go eat breakfast.  We have a delightful time at The Eggery, then head for the antique shops she so dearly loves.  Since we were already downtown, and my daughter and grandbabies live downtown, I could not help myself from stopping by to give hugs and kisses to both.  After rummaging through 3 antique stores and only finding 1 piggy bank for Yuri and 1 sympathy card for my brother in law, I was ready to go home and take a nap.  I dropped mom off, and headed home, only to be detoured by my daughter.  She wanted me to come by and watch the kiddies so she could get a little cleaning done.  Of course, I would love to hang with them again, so I headed back downtown.  We ended up spending most of our time online searching for the perfect dedication dress for my granddaughter.  Not an easy task if I say so myself.  We finally found one that we all agreed on, and purchased it.  Now we are anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I really hope its as beautiful in real-life as it was on the website.  By 6pm, I was exhausted and ready for home.  I realized I was hungry, and had no groceries in the house.  So... one more stop.  The grocery store!  Two hours later, I was hauling 15 bags of groceries up 2 flights of stairs.  OK, NOW I was exhausted.  I still had to put everything away.  Thank goodness I had cleaned out my frig.  Once everything was put away, I finally put my pj's on, and fixed myself a big smoked turkey sandwich with cheddar cheese and pickles, mustard and mayo on pumpernickle bread with a big glass of cold milk.  I sat down and watched the Figure Skating for the Olympics on NBC.com (online).  It was very emotional; beautiful and moving!  I finished the evening off with a cup of coffee with Italian Cream and paying 2 bills.  I am ready to crawl into bed.  This was day 1 of my 4 day weekend.  Sometimes your long weekends are not filled with ocean waves, good food, and relaxation... sometimes they are filled with things that just need to be done.  At least I got to spend time with people I love, even while doing those things that just need to get done!  The ocean will always be their.

No comments:

Post a Comment