Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Rainy Sunday Afternoon


I'm sitting here at my desk looking out the window.  I see the drops of rain falling from the roof line, and the moisture still hanging onto the pine trees.  The sun is peeking through the clouds and causing a perfect filtering of clean color that a camera would be hard-pressed to grab.  I live in a part of the states where rainy days are a blessing and still considered "fun".  They are far and few between, so we enjoy them whenever the good Lord decides to grace us with one.  After church this morning I was holding my two year old grandson's hand, running through the rain towards my car.  Every puddle we came to, he had to stop and stomp his little foot in it and giggle.  I could have scolded him and told him to hurry up (since we were getting soaked)... but instead I decided to try it myself at the next puddle we came to.  Yes, my lovely navy blue leather dress shoes got soaked, and it may have been a little uncomfortable having my ankles wet, but to hear that adorable laughter in my grandsons voice and see him look up at me with that twinkle in his eye, made it worth every wet soggy step I took to the next puddle.  By the time we reached the car, we were both laughing.  Something so simple, yet so delightful.  It was a good reminder for me to stop and smell the coffee instead of just gulping it down as I run out the door in the mornings!  Simple pleasures.  They don't cost anything except your time.  Talking with my daughter over lunch, while holding my 10 week old granddaughter in my arms, as she fell asleep to our laughter, was a delight.  Holding my grandson on my lap while listening to the sermon this morning, and realizing that he is hearing and absorbing more than we ever know... those are precious moments.  Before dropping my daughter & grand baby off at home, I got to express what a special blessing my grandkids are, and how I pray that I can always be a good influence in their lives, and live a life that is faithful and shows the love of Jesus to them.  These are the times that make life worth living.  At this particular time in my life, I do not have a really close friend; so I am very thankful to share a wonderful relationship with my daughter and son.  I pray someday I will have that special friend that I can feel completely comfortable with being myself, and opening my heart with; but until then, I am content with the Lord and my little family.  Sunday's are beautiful days.  They are days for the Lord, family, food and long naps!  They are days for pondering, meditating, sharing, singing, bonding and looking forward to our future home.  When I see rain, I think of the blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon me and my family.  They are as numerous as the raindrops that fall from the sky.  So today, let the rain come.  Let it cleanse, refresh and remind me that tomorrow, the sun will shine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment