Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Little Things

When people would talk about the "little things in life" they normally are referring to the good things.  A smile, a wave, a pat on the back, something you find on the sale rack that is actually in your size, or that cup of coffee that normally would cost $4 but you find out you've reached the 5th punch on your punch card and you get this one for free!  Yes, those are the "little things in life" that most people are talking about.  Have you ever had the "little things" in life be the burrs and snags and bumps in your day?  I don't normally like to talk about them, but lets face it, they happen.  Examples:  A client on the phone who starts off saying "you people..."; or the person you're trying to have a conversation with is constantly looking away and you feel like you could say "I'm a serial murderer" and they would just smile and say "oh really, that's so nice";  or the one who invites you for dinner then acts as if its the biggest burden in the world to pull it off.  After days like that, I walk into my empty apartment after work and shut the door behind me, drop my keys in the dish, lay my purse down and feel loneliness and frustration well up inside me.  I want to pick up the phone and call someone who I know will listen and care and make me laugh.  A shoulder to lean on, cry on or just give a big hug and say its ok.  I'm not looking for "fixes" or "working out the problem"... the little negative things, are just part of life - the good and the bad.  I just want someone at the end of the day that I know I can go to and they're in my corner and they listen and take my mind off of those little ugly things.  Being alone is not for wimps!

No comments:

Post a Comment