Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday's are always Special

Sunday's in our household were always special. When I was young, my mother usually had worked most of the weekend on something new for me and my sister...slaving over the sewing machine, working on a pattern we had picked out, and material we had begged for. Sure enough, when our eyes popped open on Sunday morning, the dress was perfectly prepared and pressed for us to look our very best in for Sunday. Yes, we may have been a wee bit spoiled, but it was something very special. Mom was an amazing seamstress, and the dresses she made us NEVER looked "homemade"... finished hems, pressed and starched, quality material, and nothing done "half-way". Mom wouldn't let us wear it if it didn't look "store bought". That was one thing that made Sunday's special; however, as I got older, many other things were special... Sunday lunches, whether eaten at home (which were always scrumptious), or eaten out at a restaurant (which were special occasions, since they weren't done too often)... Also, just sitting on the purple covered pews at church; the whole family on 1/2 the bench; the music, the songs, the scriptures, the sermons, the baptismals, the altar calls, the stirring of the heart and soul, the repentant heart of a young girl, the desire to want to serve the Lord with all her heart, and the hopes and dreams and prayers that were spoken in the quiet of the church sanctuary that no one ever knew about! I loved the visiting after church. My friends through the years; the first sweet romance, the fun of going out with the young people to Coco's after church, the excitement of attending youth meetings at the home of Rod Carroll or Bro Green's property, playing volleyball and singing around the campfire. All precious memories that started in church. Now that I'm a little older, I still look forward to Sunday's as a chance to fill my spiritual tank up for the week. I look forward to encouragement, correction, teaching, inspiration, conviction and the freedom to lift my voice and sing and raise my hands to the One Who has watched over me all my life, and been with me through happy times, sad times, heart lifting times and heart breaking times...My walk with the Lord has been marked by junctures and crossroads and smooth roads and bumpy ones, but through it all, He's been their with me. Just knowing that, makes every Friday a Sunday... It's Friday, But Sunday's A'Comin'...

I realize that going to church on Sunday doesn't make you a Christian anymore than being in a garage doesn't make you a car...but when you are a Christian, you will do your best to be in church whenever the doors are opened. The reason? Because when you're in love with someone, you want to be around them; where you can feel their spirit, hear their voice, feel the freedom of being completely at ease, and church for me, is like home is for me. My home is a safe haven, and church is a place of refuge and respite. Regeneration and rejuvenation...

Yes, Sunday's are always special...

No comments:

Post a Comment