Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Middle of May

Hey, it's been awhile since I've posted...not sure why; just haven't felt that anything spectacular has happened that needed sharing. I haven't got a clue if anyone is reading anyway, so I tend to be random, and sparse with my blogging. Tonight though, I feel like talking. The month of May tends to be one of those months that is the beginning of the long hot drawn out Summer that seems to go on forever here in the Valley of the Sun! We've actually been very very blessed with a lovely Spring, and the possibility of pushing Summer back until the actual day Summer is suppose to begin (June 21st). Now wouldn't that be nice, to actually have only 3 months of Summer? Or by it staying cool and bearable until mid-June, maybe we are pushing our luck, and it will stay Summer until November?? Yikes...It's been known to be in the 80's for Thanksgiving. Most people from the MidWest and back East are probably groaning and wishing they could have that kind of weather in November. Well, let me tell you 6 months of blistering 100 degree and higher weather can get old real quick. I guess in reality it's not much different than in North Dakota and Minnesota when its so cold for 4 or 5 months that you can't go outside. Both ends of the spectrum just have to find things to keep you occupied indoors. We Arizonan's go from our air conditioned car to our air conditioned job (if we're lucky), then to our air conditioned homes. We learn quickly to always carry a sweater with us though, because the restaurants and office buildings keep the temperatures hovering around 60 degrees, and you can see your breath after awhile. Going from 115 outside to 65 inside several times a day is hard on the body. When it turns 80 degrees here in the West, all buildings turn the a/c down and tend to keep it their for the next 6 months. So take a sweater...trust me you'll need it.
My flowers aren't sure what to expect from day to day in the month of May. One day it can be 70 with gusty winds, and the next it could be 92 with blazing sunshine and no wind at all. They can all agree on one thing this time of year, the weather is unpredictable, but the nights are gorgeous. Temps drop, the air is clear and their is usually a nice little breeze so you can keep the windows opened. After living in AZ since 1972, I think I've earned the right to call myself a "native" even though I was born on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We get excited when their are clouds, rain, storms, etc... we LOVE weather change. The reason? We don't see it very often. 300 days of the year are almost certain to be clear blue skies and sunshine... You might not believe this, but after awhile, you start wanting the weatherman to say something different. I'm not complaining...just sayin'.

This is our bragging time of year, but its quickly coming to a close. A month from now I could be writing something very different. Our snowbirds are already starting to pack up and leave. Chickens! (Just kidding)...we love our snowbirds. They are a great boost for our economy. Well, I can't believe I made this entire post about the weather...I've never done that before, but I suppose that's what a blog is about...random thoughts that flit through my head at 12:50am. God does all things well, and He didn't make any mistakes when he created Arizona, and the desert and the weather. Like I said, I'm not complaining. I'm grateful for the sunshine, the clear blue skies and the cool breeze when it passes through. It's like a gentle kiss from a lover, or a sweet hug from a long ago friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment