Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Pain in the Back

Sometimes a person has no idea how much the little things make a difference in their life until they are no longer able to do them. I have learned that lesson recently due to a back injury I sustained several weeks ago while reaching out to stop my 19 month old granddaughter from dashing out from my grip while waiting to go into church service. She wasn't ready to sit through a sermon, and decided she would rather play. I wasn't prepared for her sudden decision, and the rest of the story is history. I have been off work, and on Short Term Disability ever since. It's not my darling little Sophia's fault; she was just being a happy, healthy and spunky typical 19 month old. So...now I find myself trying to relax and take it easy, all day long. This sounds like it should be fun; however, having back pain sort of ruins the whole "relax; take it easy" part. There is no FUN in back pain. The first week I chewed Motrin like candy; tried hot packs, ice packs, pain patches and long soaks in a warm tub full of Epsom Salts...Normally this would ease the pain, and I'd be back to work in 3 or 4 days. That was not the case this time. The pain got worse, and I finally broke down and called my Dr. Now, I'm on pain meds, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory's and having therapy 3 days a week. I'm told not to do ANYTHING more than walk from the bed to the chair, then to the bathroom, and only do things that require no bending, pulling, sitting for any length of time. After watching so many movies, and reading so many books, and journalling until my hand hurt, and taking so many naps that I can't sleep at night, I'm just a bit frustrated. One day I'll feel fairly good, and decide that I can do a little light cleaning. I'll dust, wash a load of clothes, etc... and then the next morning I'll pay for it. So, I am not allowed to do any of that... even if I feel like it. Doc says to be patient, and that it takes time for a bulging disc to go back into its nice little coushiony spot where its suppose to be. I do not ask for help very easily. My kids have been amazing, and my mom is always an encouragement...I just hate to bother them. They have their own families and households to manage; however, they want to help, and I have come to the realization that if I'm going to get better, I'm going to need their assistance in certain areas. Who would have ever thought that I'd miss emptying a dishwasher or taking towels out of the dryer? I can't even vacuum. Now if you would have told me that a month ago, I'd be happy to offer it to someone else. Now I look forward to it. Wow... Putting on tennis shoes has taken on a whole new meaning. My daughter laced them up and now I just slip my foot into them without bending over! Challenging? You bet. Impossible? Nope. Everything nowadays goes on the shelf that is waste high or higher. If the Milk is on the bottom shelf; I don't drink milk. If I drop something on the floor, it stays their until one of the kids comes over. So you see what I mean when I say "appreciate the little things". Back muscles have a whole new respect from me. They are "workers" let me tell you. They are involved in everything! All in all... its going to be ok, and I've learned a great deal about myself over the last 2 weeks. I have a lot of maturing to do. I have 3 beautiful grandchildren to stay healthy for. I want to be able to continue making beautiful memories with them; run around and chase them; teach them how to build a Lego house; help them on their bicycles and reach down and give them kisses and hugs. They already lost one grandparent, and they don't need to have one that is sick and unhealthy. So here's to you Yuri, Sophia and Madison (and any future offspring that may come)... I am going to take better care of myself. I'm going to trust God as my healer and protector; yet I will also use the brain He gave me, and be wiser in the things I do or don't do. I will follow the Dr's orders and be patient while my back heals, so please bear with me as I recover... I will be able to play with you again. I can't wait. For you are the little special joy's in my life. I plan on being here for as long as God has planned, and I plan on being healthy and strong while I'm at it. With God on my side, nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment