Monday, October 10, 2011

When You Can't Find The Words

I realize it's late, and for all intents and purposes, I should be in bed. 6:00AM comes very quickly. As I was laying in bed, something my mother said this evening kept coming back to me. We were talking about prayer. How do you pray when you're going through very difficult battles? Not just finances, or the loss of a job, or the health of a loved one. Those are each very serious, yet when you kneel down to pray, you have specific things you are bring to the Lord. What about when your heart is broken, or your mind is playing horrible and awful war-games that keep you tossing and turning. How do you pray when you don't know how to put it into words? My answer? I sit at my keyboard and play music, or just be quiet and remind the Lord that He knows my heart. Back to my mom's answer: She said that when she is so burdened with something, and she doesn't know how to verbalize what she really is longing for, she simply starts quoting scripture verses. She chooses every promise from the Bible that she can think of, and starts speaking them out loud. I liked that. A lot. He does know our hearts, and He knows what we have need of most of the time even before we do. While I was thinking about this, you can guess what happened. I started singing an old Gospel Hymn called: Tears Are A Language God Understands by Gordon Jensen. Here are those beautiful lyrics that are true even today:

Often you wonder why tears come into your eyes And burdens seem to be much more than you can bear But God is standing near, He sees your falling tears

And tears are a language God understands.

God sees the tears of a brokenhearted soul He sees your tears and hears them when they fall God weeps along with man and He takes him by the hand

Tears are a language God understands.

When grief has left you low it causes tears to flow When things have not turned out the way that you had planned But God won't forget you His promises are true

And tears are a language God understands.

God sees the tears of a brokenhearted soul He sees your tears and hears them when they fall God weeps along with man and He takes him by the hand

Tears are a language that my God He understands.

God weeps along with man and He takes him by the hand

Tears are a language God understands.


I have also attached a rendition of this song by a choir that I found on YouTube. I hope you enjoy it. Tears truly are something that only God can completely understand. There have been times in my life where I cannot even speak because I'm overwhelmed with the burdens of life that are weighing me down. My words are at a complete loss. So I cry, and actually moan and groan. Sounds dramatic? Well, the Bible speaks of moaning and groaning for the abominations done in the city...so what about something in your family, or regarding a close friend, or maybe something buried so deep and covered with so much stuff that all you can do is wait, and let Him wash your eyes with tears.

Wow, I just thought of another song! "He Washed My Eyes With Tears" by Ira Stanphill. So mom, you were right on the mark. Words can sometimes be so inadequate, but the groaning of our heart speaks volumes!

Believing that tomorrow will be changed from ordinary to extraordinary!


Pam




No comments:

Post a Comment