Monday, November 7, 2011

My Messy Monday

I had a feeling it was going to be a challenging Monday even before it was Monday. Sunday night I did all the normal routine things I usually do. I worked on my school paper and got it posted way before deadline! Yeah... that was good. I was truly satisfied with how the essay turned out. Feeling good, I took a nice bath, did a little reading, worked on this crazy jigsaw puzzle that is about to drive me insane and got 4 pieces! Wow, now I was really feeling good. I proceeded to fix myself a cup of chammomile tea and start winding down for bed. I felt nice and cozy, and set my alarm, curled up under my nice blankets, and plumped my pillow just right and closed my eyes. I knew immediately there was going to be a problem. My brain wasn't relaxing, my feet started to get jittery, I tossed, turned, rolled on my side, flipped on my back, and finally after an hour, I got back up and started working on the puzzle again! I got a few more pieces placed in that bizarre picture and felt so good that I decided to do a load of laundry. It was freezing cold outside (50 degrees), and that inspired me to fix some cinnamon raisin toast and a glass of milk. By this time it was after 2am and I was starting to panic. My alarm was set to go off at 5:45am. That was just 3 hrs and 45 min away. If I didn't get some sleep, I wasn't going to be able to do my job. Around 2:30, I decided to try my bed again. The last time I looked at the clock it was 3:00. I must have slept, because the next thing I remember is the newscaster saying that its 42 degrees and raining! That made me happy, so I got up, got dressed, bundled up in my boots, winter skirt and layers of sweaters and a scarf. It was my first day dressing like Winter, and it made me feel good, even though I was yawning. I walked out of the house at 6:50, and decided to stop at McDonalds for a cup of coffee and Sausage McMuffin. Yeah, I'm a big spender. $2.14 total. Not bad. 4 creamers and 2 Splenda's in the coffee, and I was off on my 20 min freeway jaunt to work. That's where things started really sliding downhill. Before I even got to the Northern Curve, the brake lights were piling up. There was a crash on the freeway and it was gridlock! I popped in my favorite Christmas CD, and started in on my coffee and sandwich. I figured I might as well make the best of it. I was 3 minutes late when I pulled into the parking lot and parked my car. I frantically grabbed my purse, my coffee, my keys and my badge and got out of the car. It had been raining, but finally stopped. The puddles were pretty deep in the parking lot, but I wore my boots, so I wasn't worried. With my coffee in one hand, my purse and badge in the other, I made my way across the lot. All of a sudden my foot slipped and my coffee went flying all over me, and I landed in a huge puddle down on my knees, hip, and my left wrist tried to break my fall. I was stunned by the pain, and thought I was going to embarrass my self by crying or throwing up, but managed to take a few deep breaths and try to stand up. I was worried about my back, since I've had all of this back stuff going on, and its finally better. Little did I know, it wasn't my back at all that was hurting, but my knees. I was afraid to look or move for a few seconds because I thought I might have blown out my knee. I've been having knee issues anyway, and I keep having this horrifying nightmare of my knee just popping and going to mush. I know that sounds dramatic, but its true. I realized I couldn't stay down like that, and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't get back in my car and just go home, so I said, "Lord, please help me." The next thing I knew, there was a lady bending over me asking me if I was ok. She helped me to a standing position, and I told her I was fine. I hobbled into the building and since my supervisor was off today, I just went to my desk and logged into my computer, washed my hands and got the mud off my shoes and skirt, and put my headset on and started taking calls. When I heard my voice, I realized I was more shook up then I first thought. I was shaking, and my voice was wobbly and my hands were trembling. After each call, I just kept saying "Jesus, please help me." I would take a deep breath, and take the next call. I made it through, somehow. Finally on my break, I went into the bathroom and did a better examination of myself. Sore, bruised, a few scrapes, and lots of mud, but otherwise, all in one piece. Yes, I was late, and that will go against me; yes, I was hurt, and my body will be sore for a few days; yes, my calls probably weren't 100% calls, but at least I helped my clients resolve their issues, and managed to stay focused without breaking down. I have to say, "thank you Lord for giving me the strength I needed, and for protecting me from that fall, which could have been much worse; and for having me stop at McDonald's instead of getting on that freeway 10 min earlier which may have put me in danger of that crash that I was having to sit in gridlock traffic after it had happened.
Could it be that the trials of life are really just blessings in disguise? I guess it all depends what kind of eyes we choose to see them through. Yes, it was a messy Monday, but it also gave me much to be thankful for. As for tonight? I am praying for at least 6-7 hours of peaceful sleep. The hot bath in Epsom salts and Icy Hot rubbed on the sore spots should help. I won't be kneeling any time soon due to bruised and swollen kneecaps, but my heart is filled with gratitude and all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment