Monday, February 16, 2015

Holding On To Hope

Henry James once wrote:  "Be not afraid of life.  Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."

So many times we are told that what we do and accomplish in life is what matters the most.  I truly believe that whatever we do in this world, matters in the next.  But I'm here to also remind you that who you are is what really matters; not just the things you do.

I'm reminded of a line in a song that says something like this:  "I'm gonna live my life as if its the last...".  If everyone decided to live like that, this world would be so much sweeter.

As time progresses, and I look at my life; to some, it would seem that I'm a failure.  If having everything turn out exactly the way you want it to is measurement of a successful life, then yes, that would be true. Don't get me wrong; I'm not bitter over my life's disappointments.  As I've grown, I've learned a few things.  Everyday won't be sunny, and in the darkest of despair you really can see the stars.  If you're lucky, one of those stars will lead you to safety, and the rest will bring you comfort.  So I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't be afraid of failure.  Don't run from mistakes.  And if you stumble and fall, get back up.  You might be surprised to know that some of the greatest discoveries have been made in the times of deepest despair.  The best rewards typically will come when you've learned to overcome your strongest fears.  You just have no idea where life will take you... all you can know for certain is that the road is long, and filled with many challenges.  But in the end, the destination is what the journey was all about.  So hold on to hope.  It's a strong lifeline.

I started this post off with a quote from Henry James, but I want to end it with a quote from the Bible:

Deuteronomy 31:6  says:  "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Now that, my friend, brings peace and comfort in times of turmoil and pain.  Someone once told me, "there's nothing to be afraid of...it's just life."  That's true as long as you have God in your corner.  If you don't, then I will share this little tidbit:  "If you're not a little bit afraid, you're not paying attention."

Just thinking out loud!

P Torres


No comments:

Post a Comment