Thursday, March 16, 2017

Spring has Sprung



I woke up this morning and I knew that Spring had arrived.  My head was pounding; my eyes were puffy and my radio stated that at 6:00 a.m. it was 75 degrees.  When I crawled in bed the night before, it was heavenly.  My windows were opened to the cool gentle breeze; my ceiling fan was on low; the occasional smell of orange blossoms would waft through the screen and all was well with the world.  At least my little world.  Within a few minutes, I was sneezing.  So much for the windows staying opened.  After about an hour of sneezing, I was ready to grab my clippers and go outside to my neighbors yard and cut something down.  I didn't know exactly what; however, at that point I was willing to trim anything.  I love Spring.  I do not like 90 degree Springs!  That is too close to Summer.  I'm not ready for Summer.  But, no matter how much I'm not ready for it, it will force me to be ready.  So, today I started taking down my sweaters; corderoy skirts, jackets, hoodies, scarves, boots (sniff sniff) and take out my flip flops, sandals, cotton skirts, short sleeved tops, straw hats and sun screen.  I used my a/c in my car for the first time today.  My a/c at home has been off and on for the past week.  When the sun goes down, I open the windows and doors and enjoy the short time I can before May shows up.  We'll be lucky to get through April without hitting 100, but one can dream right?


I'm keeping my thin hoodies out because when I go in a restaurant or coffee shop, I typically have frost bite by the time I leave.  In AZ once it hits 80 outside, every building that has a/c, cranks them down to 60 degrees.  I love hanging out in coffee shops, but only if I'm comfortably warm.  It's not unusual to see me in the Summer, sitting in a coffee shop with a scarf or hoodie on.  Thank goodness for big purses!  Between my laptop, my writing journal, reading material, my drawing pencils and tablet, my sweater, 3 pairs of glasses, Carmex, sunscreen and my phone, I LOVE my big purse/bag. A little painful for the back, but essential. Oh, don't forget the hat!  A must in the AZ sunshine.

Hannah's birthday (3/22) always marks off the beginning of Spring and Summer for me.  She turns 5 this year.  Hard to believe she starts Kindergarten in the Fall.  After that, I'll just have 1 grandchild left that's not in school yet.  Marley just turned 3, so we have a couple years to enjoy her "baby-hood".  My birthday shows up in April.  I'll be 58.  Wow...that's all I can say is Wow!  It sounds so much older than it really is.  Truthfully, I'm looking forward to this upcoming year.  I have a feeling the Lord has something wonderful in store for me.

Tana turns 16 in July...She is doing well in her classes.  Always has her nose in a book or drawing.  I love that girl and wish pray that God will lead her and guide her in every choice and decision she makes.  I believe in her and I just know that a good future is waiting.  Hunter is 18 and graduated early.  He got his diploma and is one happy kid.  I wanted him to wait and walk with his class, but he had enough credits and was very excited to get school behind him, so he went ahead and finished up in February.  As a young brand new adult, he has so many options and opportunities in front of him.  I love that young man and pray that he will make good choices for his life.

I start a new position at Liberty Mutual the end of April.  I'm excited and a little nervous.  It's a good change, but one I've put off for awhile.  I know the Lord will help me, so I'm making the leap.

Life is moving forward at an incredibly fast pace.  If I'm not careful I can get busy doing other things and miss the important things.  I don't want that to happen.  I want to be present and accounted for.

Life is filled with moments where we find ourselves at a crossroad.  We might be afraid, confused and unsure about what lies ahead.  The choice we make in those moments can define the rest of our days.  Typically, when faced with the unknown, most of us would rather turn around and go back to what's comfortable.  For me, I can no longer do that.  So here's to taking a leap of faith!

Just thinking out loud...

P. Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment